Terms & definitions
- Wing Kei Reception – refers to the reception at both Crescent Heights (1212 Centre Street NE, Calgary, AB T2E 2R4) and Greenview (307 35 Avenue NE, Calgary, AB T2E 7Y6)
- Walker – refers to a participant in the Walkathon who is walking on the day and fundraising on behalf of Wing Kei
- Donor – refers to anyone who donates money towards the Walkathon,
1) When can I register?
Registration is now open! Please complete either the individual or team form and start fundraising. The first $10,000 raised and received by Wing Kei will be quadrupled!
2) When does registration close?
Registration is open up to the start of the Walkathon. However, we cannot guarantee the availability of t-shirts or lunch boxes.
3) Will the Walkathon be cancelled if it is raining or snowing a lot that day?
Unless the route is too dangerous to walk the Walkathon will continue regardless of rain or snow. In the event of serious weather, Wing Kei will monitor and assess the situation and advise walkers at Sien Lok Park and the Chinese Cultural Centre of alternative arrangements.
4) Must we complete the walk? What if we needed to leave halfway during the designated walk?
No, you may leave at any point along the route as needed, however, if you leave early you will miss out on lunch and the community celebration that takes place after the Walkathon.
5) When and where will I be able to pick up my t-shirt?
Walkers submitting their registration and fundraising of $100 or more prior to the Walkathon may collect their t-shirt at Wing Kei reception. Or the day of the Walkathon subject to availability.
Teams of 8 or more walkers receive t-shirts if they submit the group form by noon on May 31, 2019. The Team Captain can collect the t-shirts from Wing Kei reception prior to the Walkathon.
T-shirts that are uncollected prior to the Walkathon will be available for collection during registration on the day at the Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre.
6) What if some of my friends and family want to join at the last minute? Will they be able to receive a t-shirt as well?
We welcome walkers to sign up at any time, including on the day of the Walkathon.
All walkers, regardless of when they join, are eligible for a t-shirt if they fundraise $100 or more. Teams of 8+ walkers receive a t-shirt if they register by noon on May 31, 2019.
T-shirts is subject to availability!
7) Will there be lunch provided? Or should I bring some snacks myself?
We will provide a lunch box, snacks and a beverage (while quantities last) once walkers have finished the walk. Walkers will also receive a water bottle prior to starting the walk.
8) Will I need to sign in and out either before or after the Walkathon?
No. If you have not registered for the Walkathon or need to hand in donations or collect your gifts then you may do so during Registration on the day.
Registration will be at the Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre from 8:30 a.m to 9.30 a.m.
9) I cannot make it to the opening ceremony, what time will be the walk?
The walk will start at Sien Lok Park at 10:30 a.m.
10) Do I have to be at the registration to hand in the donations? Or will donations be accepted at an earlier/later time?
No, donations are accepted before, during and after the Walkathon. Donations can be made for the Walkathon until July 7, 2019.
Offline donations (cash, cheque, Visa or Mastercard) can be handed in to Wing Kei reception at any time before 5:00 p.m. on July 7, 2019. On the day of the Walkathon donations can be handed in during registration from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.
Online donations can be made via CanadaHelps:
11) If I make multiple donations under my name, will I receive multiple donation receipts or one?
If you make the donations online in different transactions via CanadaHelps you will receive multiple donation receipts immediately after the donation has been made.
Donations handed in to Wing Kei reception or at the registration booth will be grouped so one donation receipt is issued.
12) How can I donate? When is the deadline?
You can donate securely online via CanadaHelps using PayPal, Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard or American Express.
If you’re donating at Wing Kei reception or at the registration booth you may do so by cash, cheque, Visa or Mastercard.
All donations are gratefully received until July 7, 2019.
13) If I am part of a team and have received cash donations will the Team Captain be collecting the donations, or do I bring it to the Walkathon?
Either way is fine as long as the donation is clearly marked for your team (e.g. the accompanying pledge form has your team name on it).
Donations can also be made online via CanadaHelps or handed in to Wing Kei reception prior to the Walkathon.
14) Are the gifts only for me or is it for the donors as well?
Gifts are for the walkers. Gifts will be distributed to individual walkers or team captains (for distribution amongst the team).
We are grateful to all donors who have donated. Donors are invited to join us for the Community Celebration after the Walkathon.
15) On the Donation’s tab, what is the difference between the online and offline view option?
Offline is an option for Wing Kei to manage the offline donations e.g. cash, cheque.
16) When I make a donation and I write a message, who will be reading my messages if it is directed to Wing Kei?
If you make a donation to an individual’s page and write a message, the message will appear on that individual’s page. If you make a donation to a team page, the message will appear on the team page. Administrators from Wing Kei will also see the message on the CanadaHelps report.
17) Do I need an individual account to be able to join a team?
Yes, to join as an individual or team you need to create an account.
18) Do I need to join a team? Or can I fundraise on my own?
You can fundraise on your own.
19) Can I change the name of my team or my individual page?
Yes, you can change the name of team and individual pages.
Updated on May 9, 2019